Detroit Lions vs Atlanta Falcons
Lions vs Falcons Prediction, Preview, Stream, Odds & Picks
Let’s check the latest news, stats, injury reports, and NFL Odds for Detroit Lions vs Atlanta Falcons. We’ve plenty of NFL predictions for you to consider.
Sunday the Atlanta Falcons (2-0) will battle the Detroit Lions (1-1). Oddsmakers peg the Lions as the favorite with an implied win probablity of 61%, leaving the Falcons with a 39% chance to record a win. The current spread is the Lions -3.0 with a Game Total of 47.5.
Detroit's primary disadvantage has been their defense, which has allowed a monstrous 388 yards per game this year, sliding them into the #1 spot among the league's worst. They've struggled in large part because they've been unable to keep opposing offenses from moving the chains via their pass attack. Opposing QBs have thrown for the #3-most yards per game (249) against the Lions. That kind of ineffectiveness has also leached over to their run defense, which has landed them in the #29 spot in terms of yards per carry (5.16). Opposing tight ends have given the Lions the most trouble, posting 8.86 yards per target (#2-worst in football). Detroit's coverage problems have been exacerbated by their linebackers, who rank just #28 in the league in locking down opposing pass-catchers. Detroit's defensive tackles are perhaps most responsible for their paltry pass rush this year, given that they grade out as the #1-worst unit in the NFL. This presents a decided disadvantage for Detroit given that the Falcons air attack has been so good this year, passing their way to 7.1 yards per target (#13-best in the league). When it comes to their offense, the Lions check in at #3 in football when it comes to total yards per game. Their passing game has compiled 260 yards per game (#7 in football). Their run game has ranked #14 with 4.44 yards per attempt on the ground.
Atlanta's biggest weakness has been their offense, ranking #23 in the league with a mere 306 yards per game. They've failed so much on offense in large part because of their passing attack, which checks in at #2-worst in football with 174 yards per game. In terms of their defense, the Falcons have ranked #26 in the league in total yards allowed per game. Opposing offenses have passed for 230 yards per game through the air against them (#21 in football). On the ground, opposing ball-carriers have ranked #22 with 4.66 yards per carry. Atlanta pass defense has been most effective in shutting down opposing running backs, holding them to 27 yards per game (#9-best). Atlanta has been least effective in shutting down opposing tight ends, giving up 59 yards per game (#4-worst).