The Avalanche dropped a 2-1 overtime contest on Monday against the New York Rangers before suffering a 5-3 defeat at New Jersey 24 hours later. Colorado, which won three straight before the break, has fallen into a tie for first place in the Central Division with Dallas.
Nathan MacKinnon (85 points) was kept off the scoresheet for the first time in 15 games on Tuesday and will face a Carolina defense that gives up the least shots on goal per game in the league. However, the Hurricanes allowed six goals in a loss at Colorado on Oct. 21.
Carolina had gone 11-2-1 before the break, but suffered a 3-2 loss to Vancouver at home on Tuesday. Sharp-shooting forward Andrei Svechnikov (upper body) is close to a return for the Hurricanes after missing the last five games.
Rod Brind’Amour on Andrei Svechnikov’s (upper-body injury) status –
“He just wants to feel like he’s 100%. Hopefully, that’s tomorrow. If it’s not, I feel like it’s right around the corner…” pic.twitter.com/T1BkEx6L1c
— Walt Ruff (@WaltRuff) February 7, 2024
The Avalanche are a co-favorite in the Las Vegas hockey odds to win the Stanley Cup at +800 and Carolina is +1000.
Avalanche vs Hurricanes Game Information
- Game: Avalanche (32-15-4) vs Hurricanes (28-16-5)
- Location: PNC Arena, Raleigh, N.C.
- Day/Time: Thursday, Feb. 8, 7 p.m. ET
- Avalanche vs Hurricanes Live Stream: NHL.com
The Hurricanes are a slight favorite in the NHL lines on Thursday night when they entertain the offensively gifted Avalanche. Colorado has won the last four meetings, including the win in October when Artturi Lehkonen recorded four points. The Hurricanes are 15-6-4 on home ice while the Avalanche are just 12-10-4 on the road.
Avalanche vs Hurricanes Spreads and Odds
Avalanche vs Hurricanes Trends
- Under bettors are 4-0 at the sportsbook in the past four Carolina contests and 25-24 on the season.
- The Avalanche are second in the league in scoring and over bettors are 7-2 in the last nine games – 30-19-2 on the season in Colorado games.
- Carolina forward Seth Jarvis boasts 11 points in his last nine outings.
- The Hurricanes are 5-for-11 on the power play the last four games while Colorado has killed 16 of the last 17 in a five-game span.
- Avalanche defenseman Cale Makar owns four goals and eight assists during his eight-game point streak.
- Carolina is 5-1 in its last six games versus teams with a winning percentage above .600.
- The over is 6-1 in the last seven Colorado games against Metropolitan Division teams if you bet online.
- Over bettors are 5-0 in the last five games in which the Avalanche have been a road underdog.
Avalanche vs Hurricanes Over/Under Pick: Over 6 ½ (-105)
Yes, Carolina is playing better defense than it was in October. But both teams have a lot of speed and this game should open up with goalies sporting mediocre save percentages.
Avalanche vs Hurricanes ATS Pick: Avalanche +1 ½ (-210)
While Carolina is playing better hockey the last few months, Colorado should come in determined after going 0-1-1 following the break and be part of your NHL game predictions tonight.
Avalanche vs Hurricanes Moneyline Pick: Avalanche (+115)
MacKinnon does not get shut out often and he responded with eight points in three games after the last time he was left off the scoresheet.
Avalanche vs Hurricanes Prediction
Avalanche 5, Hurricanes 3: Carolina held Vancouver to 19 shots on Tuesday, but it would be quite a feat to allow around that number again. MacKinnon, Rantanen and Jonathan Drouin (five assists, five games) should get things done against the Hurricanes goaltenders (.887 SP).
Questions of the Day
Which team will score more goals in the third period?
Colorado. The Avalanche share the league lead with 70 goals in the final 20 minutes while Carolina has 58.
Will a defenseman score for the Hurricanes in the match?
Yes. Both Brent Burns and Jaccob Slavin gave Carolina goals from the back line in the first matchup with Colorado.