Skip to content

Maple Leafs Look To End Canucks’ Unbeaten Streak

The Vancouver Canucks look to keep winning under new coach Bruce Boudreau against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Going through the latest news, stats, and injury reports shows Toronto as the slight favorites on the NHL betting lines.

UPDATE:  The game has been postponed due to COVID-19 protocols and issues.

Ilya Mikheyev drives to the net Toronto Maple Leafs vs Vancouver Canucks Picks
Rich Lam/Getty Images/AFP

Maple Leafs vs Canucks Betting Analysis Guide

Canucks’ Real MVP

All the hype in Vancouver right now is with Boudreau and the revitalized Brock Boeser. The 24-year-old has five goals (two game-winning) and seven points since Boudreau took over after having just four goals and ten points prior.

Boeser and the Canucks are +9 in goal differential and averaging 3.17 in this span. But a closer look at their 5v5 analytics shows that the team is just marginally performing better than usual with an expected goal differential of just 0.5. Vancouver is still just a middling team on even strength.

But their trump card has been goaltender Thatcher Demko. He’s mostly been stellar for Vancouver and now that the team can finally give him run support, he’s looking like the Vezina candidate he’s supposed to be.

Maple Leafs Could Be Vancouver’s Kryptonite

The Canucks have looked legitimate in their last six games. That’s cute. The Maple Leafs have won 18 of their last 23 games, have the best goal differential (+33), and have the best power play (PP) (36.5%). So it stands to reason they have a higher probability of winning here.

Toronto is fresh off a blowout win against the Oilers, limiting Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl to zero points. As much as the Leafs have been potent on offense, they can thank the brunt of their success to their improved defense… and Jack Campbell, of course.

The netminder leads the NHL in goals saved above expectations (17) and goalie point shares (5.6). He has some ridiculous save percent stats like 94.1% on even strength and 90.4% on scoring chances. As long as he keeps this up, it’s tough to bet online against them.

Maple Leafs vs Canucks Head to Head

Toronto Stat Vancouver
6-3-1 Record 4-6-0
2-7-1 Over/Under 2-7-1
3.60 Average Score 2.50
16% Power Play % 38.10%
61.90% Penalty Kill % 84%

Leafs vs Canucks Game Information

  • Date: December 18, 2021
  • Time: 7 p.m. ET
  • Location: Rogers Arena
  • Toronto Maple Leafs vs Vancouver Canucks Live Stream: NHL Live

Maple Leafs vs Canucks Betting Lines

Toronto Vancouver
-130 Moneyline +110
54.27% Implied Probability 45.73%


Puck Line +1½





Maple Leafs vs Canucks Prediction

We love a great comeback story. But Cinderella’s run ends as the Leafs should edge the Canucks. Toronto has generated the most scoring chances in the NHL. Even if Vancouver has a higher differential of scoring chance goals under Boudreau’s tenure, Campbell will match or outdo Demko.

Toronto will be missing John Tavares on top of Mitch Marner. But the Leafs still have Auston Matthews and at least four others on pace to score 20+ goals. The Canucks’ penalty kill has also improved but it’s still dead last in the NHL and this will be their downfall.

Pick: Toronto Maple Leafs -130

The total going over is the preferred line on the BetUS online sportsbook for obvious reasons: these squads are prolific on offense. But goaltending and underrated defense will be the story here. Half of Vancouver’s last six games have gone under while the Leafs are allowing the seventh-fewest goals in the NHL.

Pick: Total – Under 5½ (-115)

Parlay: Maple Leafs and Under 5½ at +245

Featured Picks

Related News
Boston Bruins
NHL news
Carolina Hurricanes
Detroit Red Wings
Edmonton Oilers
Colorado Avalanche
Chicago Blackhawks