Pittsburgh Dominated Ottawa at Home
The Ottawa Senators are in the midst of a five-game losing streak as they visit Pittsburgh, a place they have not won in their last 11 tries (last win is in 2014). As such, the NHL lines favor the Penguins to extend Ottawa’s skid even if they also haven’t won a game in their last three. Lackluster goaltending is at the heart of these teams’ problems.
Senators Struggling on 5-on-5
The Ottawa Senators have lost five straight and have allowed four or more goals in their last seven games. Ottawa won just one of these games and it’s partly due to their leading netminder, Cam Talbot, going down with an injury. Even if he’s average at best, that already helps with the team.
Neither Mads Sogaard nor Kevin Mandolese has been able to make up for Ottawa’s subpar 5-on-5 stats. It’s not that Ottawa’s defense is abysmal – it’s that this team has a paltry finishing rate at just 7.39 percent relative to its save percentage at just 90.3 percent. Combined, Ottawa is last in the league in PDO (97.7 percent).
Thankfully, Ottawa has a sharp power play (23.8 percent) and penalty kill (82.3 percent), which is what helps make this team worth betting on online. But unless either goaltender can help “steal” a game or Ottawa improves its 5-on-5 play, the Senators will continue to be underdogs in the sportsbook.
Penguins Need Special Teams
Speaking of special teams, Pittsburgh has been mediocre at best. This team used to be one of the best at killing penalties but that’s deteriorated to being 15th overall at just 80 percent. Pittsburgh’s power play is a spot higher at 21.4 percent, which is actually an improvement over last season.
Special teams has actually been how Pittsburgh has won most of its recent matchups. The Pens have killed 12 of its last 13 penalties and have scored on five of its last 17 power-play opportunities. And yet the team went just 2-3-0 in these five games due to Tristan Jarry’s poor play in net.
— Ryan Bodnar (@BodnarRyan) March 19, 2023
Their No. 1 goaltender is clearly not himself. In March, Jarry has been pulled about as many times as he’s won a start. He consistently lets in four or more goals. Casey DeSmith should be in net or Pittsburgh could be on the losing end of NHL news again.
Senators vs Penguins Game Injuries
Senators vs Penguins Head-to-Head
Pittsburgh has won 11 straight home games versus Ottawa. The total has also gone over in six of their last eight games in either venue. Ottawa’s totals have also gone over in its last six conference games.
Senators vs Penguins Game Information
- Game: Senators (33-31-5) vs Penguins (34-25-10)
- Day/Time: Monday, March 20, 7 p.m. ET
- Location: PPG Paints Arena, Pittsburgh, PA
- Senators vs Penguins Live stream: NHL.TV
Senators vs Penguins Betting Lines
Senators vs Penguins Prediction
With goaltending woes and potent power-play teams here, it’s no surprise to see most NHL picks favor this game to go over the total. Either team will have to score four or more goals to get a win here and it might just come down to that.
Pittsburgh is listed at -160 in our Vegas NHL lines. This means that if you wager $100 on the Penguins, you have a chance to win $63 . The Ottawa Senators are +140, offering a chance to win $140 on a $100 wager.
The implied probability attached to the betting lines gives the Penguins a 61.54% chance to win, with the Senators at 41.67%