England hope their current form goes out of the window as they open their World Cup campaign in Doha on Monday against Iran. We’ve plenty of FIFA World Cup predictions for you to consider.
England: Favorites To Win Group
England are set to get their World Cup campaign underway on Monday as they take on Iran at the Khalifa International Stadium. Gareth Southgate’s side are amongst the favorites to lift the trophy and will be determined to start fast to build momentum.
They didn’t win a single game in the Nations League but ended three of them in draws. However, the team had consecutive victories in friendlies and the World Cup qualifiers. The squad for the World Cup is quite different from the one we saw in the Nations League and we will include them in our soccer picks and parlays.
Southgate is sweating on the fitness of a number of England players. Reece James will miss the World Cup with a knee injury. Kyle Walker admitted he is unlikely to play in England’s World Cup opener despite participating in the first training session. There have been some concerns over the sharpness of Kalvin Phillips, with the Manchester City midfielder returning from a lengthy shoulder injury last week. England hope to have James Maddison available despite the midfielder sitting out training in recent days.
Iran: Tough to break down
Iran are the underdogs of this group but have proved in recent months that they are no pushovers. Carlos Queiroz’s side has won 15 of their last 20 games in all competitions, with two defeats in the last three calendar years.
Despite having a relatively easy run in qualifiers, Iran proved in recent international friendlies that they can win against top teams by beating Uruguay. The one-goal victory displayed exactly the threat posed to England, with a strong defensive foundation and quick wingers looking to counter-attack.
They are organized at the back so if you’re betting online you should not expect many goals in their games. Sardar Azmoun was selected for Iran despite the fact the Bayer Leverkusen forward has not played since the start of October due to a calf problem, so Mehdi Tarem is expected to lead the attacking line. The manager is expected to stay loyal to the side that qualified for the World Cup, with few further changes to the lineup.
England vs Iran Match Information
- Match: England vs Iran
- Day/Time: Monday, Nov. 21, 9 a.m. EST
- Location: Khalifa International Stadium (Doha)
- England vs Iran Live Stream: Fubo TV
England vs Iran Betting Lines
|O 2 -140||O 1½ -135
U 1½ +115
|Iran||+1000||U 2 +120||O ½ +160
U ½ -180
|England vs Iran||
The odds in this chart are based on the time of publication. They are subject to change.
England vs Iran Picks & Prediction
- ML: This is the first encounter between the nations and England enter this clash as heavy favorites being priced at -285 on the three-way moneyline according to the latest soccer odds while Iran are priced at +1000 to pull off the upset. We will avoid the ML market because there’s no value in betting on England. Yes, they are by far the better and we expect them to win but we will focus on different markets.
- ATS: With the experience being on their side and with a squad packed with world-class players, England should have enough to cover the -1½ spread. It will be tough to break down Iran but they have enough firepower to kick off their World Cup campaign in style. On top of that, Iran are expected to fight for the draw and they will not pose much threat in the final third.
- Totals: The goal line is set at two with the over being priced at +115. If England will score in the first 30 minutes of the game, we will definitely see at least two goals in this clash so this fixture is offering an in-play opportunity. We definitely don’t expect a super high-scoring affair