Will Jayston Tatum and the Boston Celtics extend their season for at least one more game? Will Jimmy Butler, blossoming star Tyler Herro and the rest of the gritty Miami Heat combine to finish off the C’s, mostly outstanding 2019-20 campaign?
With the Celtics facing elimination in Friday night’s Miami vs Boston Game 5 Eastern Conference Finals showdown against the Heat, it’s time to take a look at which team is offering the best value against their NBA odds.
Miami Vs Boston
When: Friday at 8:30 p.m. ET
Where: AdventHealth Arena, Orlando, FL
Fifth-seeded Miami came back from a double-digit deficit to win Game 1, 117-114 in overtime as veteran point guard Goran Dragic scored a team-high 29 points while veteran forward Jae Crowder added 22 points and all-star swingman Jimmy Butler chipped in 20 points. The Heat covered the spread as a 2-point underdog in the process.
Miami then came back from another second-half, double-digit deficit to beat Boston 106-101 as Dragic turned back the hands of time again by scoring a team-high 25 points while five of his Heat teammates also scored in double digits in the stunning victory. Miami made it two straight ATS wins by covering the spread as a 3-point underdog. Now, the Heat will look to finish off Boston in Game 5.
“We stuck with our routine,” head coach Erik Spoelstra told reporters on Thursday. “Everybody got the treatment, rest. Today is another day for rest and recovery. Everybody knows what to expect for (Game 5).”
The third-seeded Celtics finally played a more complete game to beat Miami 117-106 in Game 3 as two-way star Jaylen Brown scored a team-high 26 points while Jayson Tatum, Kemba Walker, and Marcus Smart all reached the 20-point plateau in the win.
Now, down, 2-1 with a chance to the series, Boston put up a listless effort in the first half to fall 112-109 while allowing Heat rookie combo guard Tyler Herro to score a game and career-high 37 points. While all-star forward Jayson Tatum scored 30 points and Marcus Sart added 26 points, it was a case of too little too late – and too much Herro. Now, facing a 3-1 deficit, Boston will look to stave off elimination.
“(We) definitely have to stick together,” Jaylen Brown insisted. “Fight to the end. I think that’s the best thing that we can do to represent this organization, represent ourselves, represent our families, is stay together, and play hard. And I think everybody will be a part of that result.”
Head-to-Head | Miami vs Boston
Miami has gone 4-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings and a more impressive 7-1 ATS in the last 8 meetings in Boston, though there are no more home and away games inside the NBA’s Orlando bubble. Last, but not least, the Over is 3-1-1 in the last 5 meetings between these Eastern Conference rivals. Check out the sports betting trends for this matchup below.
- Boston is 2-4 SU in their last six games.
- Boston is 1-4 SU in their last five games against Miami.
- Miami is 11-2 SU in their last 13 games.
- Miami is 5-0 SU in their last five ‘road’ games.
- Miami is 4-1 SU in their last five games against Boston.
- The Heat are 7-0 ATS in their last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- The Heat are 11-2 ATS in their last 13 games overall.
- Miami is 8-2 ATS in their last 10 games following a ATS win
- Miami is 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games as an underdog.
- The Celtics are 7-1-1 ATS in their last 9 games following an ATS loss.
- The Celtics are 5-2-1 ATS in their last 8 games following a straight up loss.
- The Celtics are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 Conference Finals games.
- The Over is 4-1 in Miami’s last 5 games as an underdog.
- The Under is 6-2 in Miami’s last 8 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- The Over is 3-1-1 in Miami’s last 5 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- The Under is 6-1 in Boston’s last 7 games following a ATS loss.
- The Under is 5-1 in Boston’s last 6 games following a straight up loss.
- The Over is 3-1-1 in Boston’s last 5 vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- The Under is 12-5 in Boston’s last 17 overall.
Miami vs Boston Prediction
While I don’t see Boston coming back to beat Miami in this series, I also believe the C’s have one more great effort in them to take Game 5. Boston is completely and utterly desperate and really, outside of Game 4, they’ve outplayed Miami for the vast majority of this series. I’m going with Boston to win Game 5 and narrowly cover the spread on Friday night. Make sure to check out the NBA props for this contest.